National Honor Society induction honors students’ hard work

BBHHS inducted new members into the National Honor Society on December 10

National Honor Society induction honors students hard work

Laney Karpowicz, Staff Writer

On December 10, 2021, the National Honor Society hosted its annual induction in the Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School auditorium. This nationwide tradition occurs at BBHHS each year to display and honor the hard work and dedication of the students who are selected to join. 

Students must show traits of the four pillars: scholarship, service, leadership, and character. 

Meaghan Doyle, a senior at BBHHS and the Recording Secretary in NHS,  said “My favorite part of being in NHS is being an officer and planning the new inductee ceremony because it is so exciting for everyone.” Inductees are “tapped in” by an existing member. Current members picked someone that was on a given list that they felt was meaningful to them. 

Member and BBHHS senior Mackenzie Gray said “We got to pick a couple of people we knew and other committee members matched you with one of your choices. I picked people I was friends with because it would make their welcome more meaningful.” 

One of the pillars is service. Many opportunities are given to members to get their hours.  “My favorite way to earn service hours is to go to nursing homes and do Christmas dances or sing-alongs for them during the holiday season to bring them joy,” Doyle said. 

BBHHS senior and NHS member Leah Hargreaves said “I am involved in multiple clubs at our high school that gives me volunteer opportunities within the high school and around the community.” Hargreaves said that she has also participated in helping Lion’s Club at Bloodview Haunted House, Drug Take-Back Day for HUDDLE for the community, during lunch periods running the SADD Club activities to help inform kids about the dangers of drugs and alcohol, and giving tours to eighth-graders of the high school for National Honor Society. 

The National Honor Society meets once a month in the morning before school where they discuss future plans and volunteer opportunities, sometimes with food included. 

The new inductees had to meet the requirements of each of the pillars in order to be accepted in. Once accepted, they got to take part in the induction ceremony. They were each called up one at a time to shake hands with their administration. Former senior class president and NHS member Jaden Gamboa said “ The ceremony was uplifting in knowing how far you’ve come. I remember hearing students’ speeches about the pillars of NHS, and to be given the opportunity to give a speech of my own is indescribable.” 

For anyone looking to apply to NHS, applications come out in the second quarter of the 2022-23 school year. Many of the current members recommend that people join NHS for the experience and the meaning behind the organization. Gray said, “It’s not a huge commitment if you are busy and it looks good on college applications.” Many colleges look for NHS as an establishment of good character.