The HyBreeze

The Student News Site of Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School

The HyBreeze

The HyBreeze

Life Long Friendships
Life Long Friendships
April 19, 2024

Touchdowns and Halftime Shows: The Spectacular Story of the Super Bowl!

On Sunday, February 11, 2024, Superbowl LVIII, the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers battled it out for all Americans to see the new NFL champions.  The Kansas City Chiefs came out victorious in overtime with the final score of 25/22.

The Kansas City Chiefs also won the superbowl last year and they even won in 2020, when they also competed against the San Francisco 49ers. History truly does repeat itself this year with the Chiefs once again taking home the Superbowl ring, trophy, and title of being the winners of the 58 annual Superbowl.

Football is a beloved sport all over America. With so many families watching Sunday night football together. It has connected so many people and the Superbowl is where some choose to go all out. Many host parties, get-togethers, or just watch with family and friends to root for the team they would prefer to win, even if it is not their regular favorite team.

BHH students have so many different ways to make this exciting final football game of the season special.  Some students shared their plans for the day.  For example, Avery Algie, sophomore, says, “My church has a Youth Group party on Super Bowl Sunday.”

Anna Painter, senior, says, “I’ll be watching at Galantine’s.”

Laynie Kraus, junior, says, “ I am going over to my boyfriend’s brother’s house for a watch party.”

Fallon Markovic, sophomore says, “Every year I make Mama Kelce’s famous chocolate chip cookies.”

Although the Superbowl is mostly about football, it is not the main reason why some people watch. There is so much more to it with a halftime performer, unique commercials, and appearances from beloved celebrities.  Some even make a day of it by tuning into Animal Planet to watch the Puppy Bowl, which is shown before the Superbowl.

The halftime show performer this year was Usher. Many students at BBH are happy with this choice, while others think there could have been better options. The most popular performers students would like to be the halftime shows include Taylor Swift, Drake, SZA, and Bruno Mars.

Lindsay Tayfel, junior, explains why Taylor Swift would make a great halftime show performer.  “She is at the top of the world right now, and I want to see what she would do with it.”

Taylor Swift was big talk at this year’s Superbowl, since she was expected to be attending due to the obvious fact that her current boyfriend Travis Kelce is part of the Kansas City Chiefs. She often makes an appearance at his games and many fans love tuning into the games to catch a glimpse of her.

Another fun part of the Superbowl is the commercials.  With so many people all over America watching the Superbowl, having a commercial is a million dollar demand.  According to U.S. News, a 30 second spot costs a cool $7 million in 2023.

Companies try and make their commercials stand out, whether it is with humor or sadness. The big money comes from getting all of the famous stars to showcase during the commercials, which are always big talk before, during, and after the game.

There is no doubt that there can be a little something for everyone to get involved in the fun.  There is little doubt that Superbowl will always be a beloved annual tradition all over America.