The HyBreeze

The Student News Site of Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School

The HyBreeze

The HyBreeze

Life Long Friendships
Life Long Friendships
April 19, 2024

Let the Race Begin with the 2024 Track Season

Photo from Google

On your mark, get set, go! The 2024 indoor track season is up and running with the outdoor season starting on Feb. 20. Many new and returning athletes are setting their sights on breaking personal records.

This year’s track team is once again led  by Mr. Schank with distance, Mrs. Ferrante with sprinting, and Mrs. Dubasak. Each coach focuses on a different event.

There are multiple events that athletes can participate in such as sprinting, distance, discus, shot put, high jump, long jump, and pole vaulting.

Different events have specific warm ups before a meet or practice, Coach Ferrante states, “Depending on the group, distance does certain things and sprinters as well, field event too, but everyone still runs. We’ll do a team warm up and drills such as butt kicks and high knees.” 

Coach Schank and Coach Ferrante both agree  that there is a lot of returning talent this year, especially the boys senior class. Coach Shank says, “[There is a]very strong senior class of senior sprinters, [that] broke a 50 year old school record. Three out of four of them that set the record, are returning.”

There is a lot to look forward to this track season, but there are also some obstacles. One of the big issues that every track team struggles with is having to deal with bad weather. Since the weather is out of their control, and track is mainly an outdoor sport, it can be difficult to make accommodations ensuring athletes still get a good practice.

The first track meet was an indoor meet at Spire on Jan 26th with the following meet being on Feb. 9.

There is a lot more to track then just the physical aspect.  Most of a person’s skill comes from their mental capability to force themselves to keep pushing themselves harder and to keep on going, even if their body tells them otherwise.

An athlete’s mental focus at practice can make huge impact on improving their all around performance.  “Just focus on getting better each day, [You] can’t look at the big picture at the end of the year, you have to focus on what your doing each and everyday at practice,” says Coach Schank.  

Many athletes may lack motivation to better themselves on the track.  Track can be a mentally and physically draining sport, and it can be hard to keep up with the pace. Coach Ferrante says, “It’s a daily thing for athletes to believe in themselves; it’s a daily exercise.  If you’re here, do it 100%.” 

There is a lot to look forward to this season with many excellent athletes. Stay tuned for all the meets coming in the future when the outdoor season starts.