The HyBreeze

The Student News Site of Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School

The HyBreeze

The HyBreeze

Life Long Friendships
Life Long Friendships
April 19, 2024

Mr. Lesh… in the Auditorium… with the Cast List

Clue: On Stage can be described in one sentence as: “a comical whodunnit that moves at a lightning fast pace with uproarious comedy” – Mr. Lesh, the BBHHS Director

Clue: On Stage has been licensed out to many Broadway, local, and high school productions, and it has finally made its way to Brecksville Broadview Heights High School, who will be performing it in November of 2023.

Clue: On Stage, written by Sandy Rustin is known worldwide by all age groups for not only its statement on stage but also the book, movie, and board game. 

According to Broadway Licensing, the play consists of 11 roles, 5 of which being female and 6 being male, 6 of these characters become suspects to the murder of their host, Mr. Boddy.

Due to its popularity among this generation Mr. Lesh has decided to premier Clue on his stage and invites students to come along on the ride and take their shot at auditioning, not with the revolver. 

Auditions at the high school will be held in the auditorium at three o’clock on the week of September 18, no prior preparation needed.  More of specific dates will be said on the Bee TV announcements, which can be found on YouTube. 

Ryan Sobecks, a sophomore at BBHHS advises first time auditioners and says,, “Just go for it!” Kenny Whitten, a senior at the high school advises,“Don’t be nervous about it because it’s really just between you and the director; everybody else sitting there is just worrying  about themselves rather than worrying about what you’re doing.” 

Although auditioning, especially for the first time, can be scary, many previous auditioners encourage those who are scared to go out and have fun. “We are all being silly together. If you feel embarrassed by what you are doing, don’t worry! WE’RE ALL EMBARRASSED OF OURSELVES!!” says Lesh.

The only thing more anxiety-inducing than the actual auditions is waiting for the cast list. It’s not only troublesome for the auditioners, but also the director.

“I know I’m about to break many people’s hearts (moreso with the musical), and I hate doing it.”  Although anyone who has done an audition can agree, not getting the role you want sucks, but there is some light at the other end of the tunnel.

Some people like Nathaniel Lindberg “just don’t really like people looking at [them]” and that’s completely okay! A lot of auditioners prefer the stage lights to the spotlight when auditioning and there are definitely spots in productions for people who prefer the background.

Lilah Reasor, a junior, says, “Even though everyone wants to get a [lead] part, I think ensemble is super fun;you’re in everything, so if you don’t get a [lead] part,you’re still in the musical and it’s still fun.”

Reasor isn’t the only one in the ensemble boat. Sobecks agrees that lead roles aren’t always the ones that are the most fun.He says, “[being in] ensemble is very low stress and you get to hang out with your friends.” 

While there are some smaller roles in Clue, there are nowhere near as many as there are in musicals.. So if ensemble seems like the place for you, auditioning for the musical would be a great place to start.

Whether you’re looking to audition for a lead role such as Professor Plum or looking for a side role like the Cook, the stage is open to everyone. Drama club is welcome to everyone, and remember, “You never know how much fun you’ll have with something new if you don’t take a risk and join in!” says Lesh.

Its happening! Clue will be on stage at the Brecksville Broadview Heights Highschool on November 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.  Come support these hardworking students and buy tickets to this amazing play that is sure to go out with a bang!… Not from the revolver…