The HyBreeze

The Student News Site of Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School

The HyBreeze

The HyBreeze

Life Long Friendships
Life Long Friendships
April 19, 2024

Lights, Laughter, Live!

Mrs. Doubtfire – The New Musical Comedy
Playbill

“Bridges are built to be crossed. Hope lies in forgiveness. Time can heal. All is not lost as long as there is love.” – Wanda Sellner, “Mrs. Doubtfire” the Musical

The line above is known from one of the newer musicals that has recently hit the Cleveland stage, “Mrs. Doubtfire”, who is played by Rob McClure. His wife, Maggie Lakis, joins him as co-star in this musical comedy.

Maggie Lakis and Rob McClure in “Mrs. Doubtfire” (Joan Marcus)

Inspired by the movie, “Mrs. Doubtfire”, which came out in November of 1993, the musical tells the tale of a recently divorced dad who will do anything to see his kids.

The musical played at Connor Palace in Playhouse Square from January 9 to January 28.

The shows sold out and viewers are saying it was “one of the best” musicals they’ve ever seen.

The cast was lively with incredibly strong voices and McClure’s impressions were spot on. Lots of laughter came from the audience as the references were timely and overall hilarious.

The way McClure was able to step into Robin Williams shoes and not only fill them but be able to bring more heart to the character was something I was not expecting.

The costume changes between Daniel and Mrs. Doubtfire were quick and spectacular to watch.

I was not only impressed with McClure’s performance, but also his wife’s. Lakis plays the role of Miranda with less of a cold shoulder than Sally Field, who played Miranda in the film.

Lakis was able to show the emotional roller coaster of divorce and the strength it took to initially raise her kids with not much help from Daniel.

Aside from two of the main roles, the musical had two acts with a total of 24 songs.

Act one shows the heartbreak of a family falling apart. It highlights the toll that divorce takes on the kids, but also shows their resilience. In addition, it shows the importance of structure and rules for children.

Act two shows the heart-warming tale of family and love. Its message is clear: People can overcome any challenge with love.

The songs are perfect for their scenes with just the right blend of talking, singing and dancing.

I think what most people grabbed onto was the music. Whether you like musical’s or not, the songs helped to keep the storyline going, making it a thrilling experience. Many of them were upbeat to keep the energy amped up throughout the show.

May I also just add that Giselle Gutierrez, who played Lydia, may have been one of the best singers up on that stage. She had such an impressive range and a powerful presence.

On top of the music, the costumes were incredibly unique. The Mrs. Doubtfire costume was so spot on, as were the sets that made you feel like you were watching various different scenes from the movie.

I was highly impressed by what this production brought to the stage and if you ever get the chance to see “Mrs. Doubtfire”, definitely go for it!

See you next time, poppets.

Rate: 10/10