The HyBreeze

The Student News Site of Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School

The HyBreeze

The HyBreeze

Life Long Friendships
Life Long Friendships
April 19, 2024

Lights, Camera, Action: Movies Coming to a Theater Near You

Six Degrees

On June 14, 2023 Hollywood actors went on strike against the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers.  For the first time in 63 years, they are finally fighting for long term pay, consistency of employment and control over the use of artificial intelligence.  Yet, for people like us, that means no shows or movies until the matter is fixed and the actors get equal treatment.

Zach Braff, actor, told the Associated Press, “Only 12 percent of SAG-AFTRA makes the $26,000,” which if you didn’t know, was the minimum to qualify for health insurance every year. “We’re here for people like that,” said Braff.

According to The New York Times, on November 8, 2023, the Hollywood stars voted to ratify a three-year contract deal with the studios that ended their strike after nearly four months.  This new contract provides pay raises, streaming bonuses and also includes guardrails around the use of artificial intelligence in filmmaking.

December marks the first full month since the ending of the actors’ strike, so with that being said, here are some of the top movies coming to a theater near you:

• Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé

Renaissance, which came out December 1st, is about pop star Beyoncé.  She performs her hit songs and discusses the creative process behind her tour.

According to IMDb, viewers have given the movie a 9 out of 10.

• Silent Night

Silent Night is a R-rated movie that contains action and thrill.  

Silent Night is set during the holiday season when a couple loses their son to gang violence.  The title is not related to the famous Christmas carol, rather that the movie is a silent movie with sound.

According to IMDb, viewers rated it an average 5.9 out of 10.

• The Boy and the Heron

The Boy and the Heron is a fantasy movie about a 12-year-old boy, Mahito, who struggles to settle in a new place after the passing of his mother. However, when informed that his mother is still alive, he sets out for an adventure where he enters an abandoned tower in search of her and it takes him to another world.

According to IMDb, viewers have given the movie a 7.6 out of 10.

Nerdist
  • Wonka

Wonka, a musical, focuses on young Willy Wonka (Timothee Chalamet) and how he came to meet the Oompa-Loompas.

According to IMDb, viewers rate the movie a 7.5 out of 10.

Warner Bros. Productions
  • Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom

After failing to defeat Aquaman (Jason Momoa), Black Manta gets the power of the Black Trident that releases an ancient and dangerous force. In order to stop the madness, Aquaman forms an alliance with Orm, the former king of Atlantis, in which they set aside their differences and join forces to protect Atlantis.

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom comes out Friday, December 22.

ONE Media
  • Migration

Migration is a comedy about a family of ducks who leave a New England pond and make a trip to Jamaica. However, the family of ducks have some unexpected dilemmas that send them to New York. Living in New York inspires them to make friends and go beyond their limits.

The release date for Migration is set for Friday, 

Illumination

December 22.

• Anyone but You

Anyone but You is an almost enemies to lovers movie.  Bea and Ben aren’t the fondest of each other, but when they find themselves at the same wedding all the way in Australia, they act like the perfect couple to help their appearance.

Anyone but You is set to come out on Friday, December 22.

Sony Pictures Entertainment
  • The Iron Claw

Starring Zac Efron, The Iron Claw tells a true story of the Von Erich brothers, who make history in professional wrestling in the early 1980s.  It’s said there has been a curse laid upon the family and the movie follows along the rise and fall of the Von Erich brothers.

The release date for The Iron Claw is Friday, December 22.

A24
  • Ferrari 

Ferrari, starring Grey’s Anatomy Star, Patrick Dempsey, takes place during the summer of 1957.  Bankruptcy looms over the company that Enzo Ferrari, ex Formula 1 racer and his wife built.  Enzo decided to wager it all on a 1,000 mile race across Italy.

Ferrari is set to come out Monday, December 25.

Sky Cinema
  • The Boys in the Boat

Based on the book, Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown, the movie takes place during the height of the Great Depression.  Members of the rowing team at the University of Washington compete for gold at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.  This movie is based on the true story of the 1936 University of Washington rowing team. 

The release date for The Boys in the Boat is set for Monday, December 25.

MGM