The HyBreeze

The Student News Site of Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School

The HyBreeze

The HyBreeze

Life Long Friendships
Life Long Friendships
April 19, 2024

MiMbers Sing and Dance Their Way to Broadway

Music-in-Motion+Promotion
BBHHS Choir Instagram
Music-in-Motion Promotion

The stage comes to life with Music-in-Motion singing and dancing Broadway tunes under the bright lights at BBHHS with the annual “Ticket to Broadway” performance on January 12, 2024

Founded in 1985 by previous BBHHS Music Director Charles Valley, Music-in-Motion, the show choir at BBHHS continues to entertain their audience by performing their annual  “Ticket to Broadway” in the school. Music-in-Motion, better known as MiM, consists of approximately 28 members and is led by choral director Emily Garlock.

Each year, the performance of “Ticket to Broadway” has a corresponding theme to go with the performances. Last year was “Decades” and this year is “Broadway”. “It’s Broadway B size, so it’s all the songs from shows everyone loves, but it’s not the big hits. [For example] if you’re playing a Spotify playlist or Broadway stuff, it’s not the ones that’ll come up at the top! It’s not ‘Defying Gravity’ from Wicked or ‘Seasons of Love’ from Rent. Instead, it’s ‘Finale B’, which is also really popular.” says Garlock. 

Many students remember Music-in-Motion from their time in middle school. Gianna Russo, junior, says, “I remember watching that day, thinking, it was so cool how they did two things at once! Their [singing and] dancing was very fun and entertaining to watch. “

Music-in-Motion performing on stage
BBHHS Choir Instagram

Sam Gerbasich, sophomore MiMber, remembers certain aspects of the performances at Central.  “Ever since I saw their red sparkly dresses and how they lit up the room, I knew I wanted to do that. I enjoyed [watching them all] work together! I especially remember them singing ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas’.” 

Everybody is always amazed at how MiMbers can sing while they dance, a key component of show choir. MiMbers learn music and choreography once a week.

“The choreographer, Ms. Christine, starts this year at night, and runs rehearsal from 6-8 p.m. to work on choreography, but it’s just once a week. It’s not a super-intensive rehearsal schedule right now, and it’s cool because kids can bounce in and out of other activities!” says Garlock. 

Gabby Caputo, Junior MiMber, says, “With just one rehearsal a week, we use our time very efficiently when we rehearse!” 

If you’re interested in being in Music-in-Motion, auditions need to be recorded by you and must be submitted by January 12, at midnight. 

Music-in-Motion before their performance
BBHHS Choir Instagram

“It’s digital; the information can be found online in a shared Google Drive. Students will learn one piece of music on their vocal part and a part of another song. There are rehearsal tracks, and there are sheets in Google Drive. The cool part is that it is an audio and visual recording. You can record as many times as you want, so you’re comfortable with what you’re turning in for your audition,” says Garlock.

While the performance is of utmost importance, friendships are essential to Music-in-Motion. 

Nicola Yaussy, junior MiMber, claims, “I have made many friends because of MIM. Many of my best friends are in MIM. I am glad we have a club where we can spend time together and have fun doing what we love.” 

Olivia Still, freshman MiMber expresses, “As a first-time member, I’ve had such a great experience so far, and I’m going to try out next year also!”

Well, what are you waiting for? The curtain rises and waits for your excitement!

Alexis Zelinsky, junior MiMber, advises students and families to come to see the performances at Ticket to Broadway. “It’s not every school where you can see kids perform like this. At most concerts, you stand in black dresses, and it’s pretty boring. [In] Show choir, there are sparkly dresses. It’s a lot of fun, and you can sing along too!”

If you want to join MiM but aren’t quite sure, Garlock shares some advice, “Give it a shot! That is the biggest thing. If you’re worried about the audition process, ask for help. It’s worth a shot, just try it.”

Link to auditions: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XLSMKcvMq8AGVnY05oRFpTvwMZWGQSlt?usp=sharing