The HyBreeze

The Student News Site of Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School

The HyBreeze

The HyBreeze

Life Long Friendships
Life Long Friendships
April 19, 2024

Lots of Holly, but not so Jolly

How to combat Seasonal Depression during the Holiday Season
University+Star
University Star
Vaughn Greene

Warm hot chocolate, snow flakes falling from the sky, Christmas decorations all around the neighborhood, and the overwhelming feeling of hopelessness and dread. Seasonal Depression, or Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), is very real, and deeply affects those who experience it. 

Most often starting in the fall and continuing throughout the winter months, SAD can affect anyone, causing depression that manifests in symptoms of fatigue, increased anxiety, low interest in otherwise enjoyable activities, moodiness, and even thoughts of suicide.  Megan Boulton, the Behavior and Wellness Specialist at BBHHS says, “Do not ignore your symptoms thinking they will go away on their own.”

There are many different speculations as to why seasonal depression exists, but they all come down to the time change and less sunlight.  According to the Cleveland Clinic, biological clock change, brain chemical imbalance, vitamin D deficiency, and melatonin boosts, can all cause SAD.

Although SAD can be a scary diagnosis with yearly occurrences, there are things that can be done to lessen the symptoms.  According to Hopkins Medicine light therapy, psychotherapy, and antidepressants can all help with the symptoms of SAD. It’s important to talk to a medical professional on which route one should take to be able to have the most effective help when it comes to SAD.

It’s not always easy to help those experiencing symptoms of depression with the constant feeling of hopelessness. Sometimes it’s a struggle to get out of bed or partake in personal hygiene. While professional treatment is highly recommended for those who want to seek professional help, there are many things that friends and family can do to help their loved ones who are suffering from SAD.

The Wall Street Journal

There are many other ways to alleviate the symptoms of SAD, which don’t fall along the lines of therapy or medication. Making sure to get outside and getting enough exercise, eating balanced meals, and making sure not to shut out family and friends that want to help those who experience SAD, are all good things to keep in mind.

What is the best way to help? Truly the most difficult question because depression is something that is never easy to navigate. Talk to those who suffer and ask what they need in this time of struggle, this will be more significant to those who experience SAD than anything else. “Stay current on interventions or treatments that you choose when working with your medical provider. Seek help if these treatments are no longer helping to reduce or eliminate your symptoms because sometimes changes may need to be made to treatment plans. Again, pay attention to what your mind and body are telling you. Schedule regular check-ins with a trusted adult or your medical provider. Practice self-care and make plans to participate in activities that bring you joy,” says Boulton.

While symptoms of seasonal depression usually start in early adulthood, symptoms may start earlier than that if a person already experiences other mental disorders such as bi-polar disorder or schizophrenia, says the Cleveland Clinic. 

Counseling Rx

Even though seasonal or winter depression is the most common Seasonal Affective Disorder, SAD can affect people year-round. Hopkins Medicine explains that there is fall-onset, which lasts over the winter months and gets better over the summer months. As well as the less common summer-onset, which starts early to mid summer and ends when the fall months begin. 

According to the Cleveland Clinic, it is important to never self diagnose SAD, instead people need to seek professional help if they are experiencing symptoms. There are important qualifications to be able to diagnose SAD and testing will need to be done by either a phycologist or psychiatrist to be able to properly diagnose and treat someone. 

In the end, SAD can affect someone’s life in numerous ways, but with the help of family and friends, and the correct treatment, it is manageable. It’s important to remember that SAD is rather common, so no one is alone in their experiences. Being kind and showing support to those who experience SAD is the best way to show care for those who struggle. The holiday season is about empathy for others, so it is important to understand those who experience SAD and how to help them.

Cleveland Clinic. (n.d.). Seasonal Depression (Seasonal Affective Disorder).

Retrieved November 30, 2023.   https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/

diseases/9293-seasonal-depression

Hopkins Medicine. (n.d.). Seasonal Affective Disorder. Retrieved November 30,

2023.   https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/

seasonal-affectivedisorder#:~:text=Seasonal%20affective%20disorder%2C%20or%20SAD

,antidepressants%20can%20help%20treat%20SAD.