The HyBreeze

The Student News Site of Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School

The HyBreeze

The HyBreeze

Life Long Friendships
Life Long Friendships
April 19, 2024

Once upon a time BBHHS students used to thrive off their own creativity… what now?

Magna Schola 2002 Edition

Once upon a time, Brecksville Broadview-Heights High School students were enveloped in their own creativity.

Earth Beauty by Alyse Czach via Magna Schola

A group of students would work together to collect artwork and writing from their peers to collaborate on a Literary Magazine that would be printed at the end of the year and then passed around to the student body.

In 2019 Literary Magazine had been brought back by a student poet who had gone to English Teacher, Michelle Miller in hopes of finding a club advisor. The young poet looked to find other students who shared similar passions to create an outlet for all.

“We find out passions through the creative outlets that appeal to us,” says Miller. “Students who work on the things that bring them joy are often more fulfilled and open to taking on new challenges.”

While this club is no longer active in the high school, students such as junior Kara Sabo are working to keep creativity alive through new clubs and activities.

For example, Sabo currently started the Creative Writing Club, which began during the 2022-2023 school year.

“I want people to feel that the Creative Writing Club is a safe, open, and encouraging environment to build pride in their work,” says

Dia Distortion by Dia Tretinik via Magna Schola

Sabo. “I want  people to be able to share their writing without feeling judged, but also improve their writing with constructive criticism.”

Students in the Creative Writing Club are not  limited to only one form of practice and are introduced to poetry and short stories. Sabo hopes to expand the group’s creative outlets to songwriting and playwriting.

Clubs like this keep creativity alive in the school community and allow for students to practice writing in a safe environment, however, the search for artistry cannot stop.

“In a world of standardized tests and products produced by artificial intelligence, students need an outlet for their creativity,” says BBHHS English teacher, Deanna Jordan. She continues, “The connections in the brain that occur when creating are vital aspects of development that a standardized test simply will not foster.”

With the intention of allowing students to showcase their work, The Hybreeze plans to add a creative section to showcase students’ writing and artwork. 

Stille by Maja Vujicic via Magna Schola

Sabo says, “I like the idea of having others see one’s work because it grows confidence in identity and pride in their work.”

This new section of the paper will allow for poetry, short stories, paintings, and more to be presented to the large audience of the BBHHS student body and may even become somewhat of a portfolio for students who are consistent contributors.

“Students can gain confidence, self-knowledge, and skills for the modern workforce when they are able to explore [and share] their creative interests both in and out of school,” says English teacher, Caroline Loomer.

Keep an eye out for the Creative Corner of The Hybreeze and if you or someone else is looking to get work out there email [email protected] or [email protected] with your work and label the subject line as “Last name, first name, title of work.”