The HyBreeze

The Student News Site of Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School

The HyBreeze

The HyBreeze

Homework Affects on Mental Health

Cheryl Mizerny

Homework can be problematic for students.

Eyesha Sadiq says that some students develop minor depression and headaches when getting excessive homework and many people can agree that there is stress that comes with homework.

When looking up anything about students and homework, there is rarely anything positive. Call Tutors Team says, “The average high school student spends about 17.5 hours per week on homework.”

Gigi Salinas, freshman, says, “Homework is not good for your mental health and when teachers assign homework it causes students stress.” 

Alina Smith, freshman, says, “If all you do is stress over something difficult to try to turn it in on time, that can affect your mental health.”  

Marshall Bohrer, psychology counselor at BBHHS says, “It depends on how much homework is given, but some homework is necessary; [however],excessive amounts can be stressful.”

In addition, Bohrer states, “ It’s important for students to use time management skills to alleviate some of the stress and to communicate with teachers.” 

According to “Why Stress Happens and How to Manage it”, an article written by Medical News Today, stress can lead into many different things.  Youth mental health can enter into behavior risks like drug use, violence, and alcoholism; Therefore, stress is no joke for students and can lead to current or future issues. 

Stress is controlled by the nervous system and can be different for anyone.  It can also affect mental performance or development of skills. Mental performance is important because it prepares the mind and helps people perform their best. 

If you’re struggling with mental heath, it’s always okay to see a guidance counselor.  They can help you with anything.