The HyBreeze

The Student News Site of Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School

The HyBreeze

The HyBreeze

Life Long Friendships
Life Long Friendships
April 19, 2024

Winter Market Comes to Town

NAHS 2023 Induction day via. @nahs.bbhhs on Instagram
Crochet Committee via. @nahs.bbhhs on Instagram

Student-made products are decking the halls of BBHHS this Christmas season, and it’s the perfect time to take advantage of that opportunity to get creative and thoughtful gifts for those close to you.

Dec. 13-15 students will be able to enjoy products made by their peers in National Art Honors Society during all lunch periods.

These creations vary and include buttons, crochet, pottery, stickers, jewelry, and keychains. All proceeds made go toward NAHS scholarships at the end of the school year. 

President of NAHS, Kaelyn Foley, has taken the role as a leader of the group that is preparing keychains.

“I work to organize my group and schedule meetups that work for us,” says Foley. “I also have to communicate with Mrs. Shaffer so we can have the proper supplies.”

Senior Juliana Sobecks is leading the jewelry group this year. Sobecks says that what goes into these products can be seen from various perspectives.

Winter Market poster via. @nahs.bbhhs on Instagram

Making each piece of jewelry may pose as an individual project, however, group contributions go into the technique and concept that goes into every product.

While a lot of work goes into Winter Market, the students often gain something back.

Foley discusses the role of leadership that she has assumed through her years in NAHS. “I really pride myself on being a leader that is kind and approachable. I don’t want people to be scared to talk to me or ask me questions, especially if it’s important. I may be in charge of a lot of things, but my word isn’t final, and it’s ok if I’m wrong.”

“Working on the Winter Market over the years has given me insight into what it is to organize an event from start to finish,” says Sobecks. She adds, “This provides a chance to get really involved in every step of the event, making it a really valuable experience.”

The variety of products that are going into the market’s inventory allow NAHS members to explore their full range of creativity.

Jewelry Committee via. @nahs.bbhhs on Instagram

Members are given the option to choose from different committees and they can use their skills to their advantage. From that point, members can also explore new skills that they may not have had a chance to develop before.

Projects like this in NAHS, allow students to grow and expand their comfortability to areas they may not have in the past.

“I hope the members realize how much they contribute to NAHS and the art community,” says Foley. “It’s important to do your part and help the group as a whole.”