The HyBreeze

The Student News Site of Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School

The HyBreeze

The HyBreeze

The Worker Bees Retire from the Hive

Mrs. Acciardo at the BBHHS homecoming bonfire

Did you know that some iconic BBHHS teachers are retiring from the high school? People may not know, but beloved teachers: Elena Acciardo, Mathematics Teacher; Michael Bradac, Mathematics Teacher; Beth Smith, Science Teacher; and Darla Marlow, Mathematics Teacher; are all retiring from the hive.

Elena Acciardo has been teaching for 27 years, in both mathematics and science, but just mathematics at Brecksville. Acciardo says that she will deeply miss the students, but is excited about booking trips for others and traveling to Florida and Maine! Acciardo’s final advice to students is to remember, “It’s not about the grade, it’s about the learning!”

Mr. Bradac at a BBHHS varsity football game

Michael Bradac has been teaching for 34 years, 2 being a substitute teacher, and 32 as a classroom teacher. Bradac will miss his time interacting with his students both inside and outside of the classroom.  He is excited to continue to expand his knowledge by becoming a part-time data science curriculum teacher. Bradac also states, “Other than the new job as a curriculum developer, I will spend more time traveling and doing things with my family.”

Before he leaves the hive, Bradac shares advice to new teachers: “Take time to really know your students. Attend sporting events that your students are in, go to plays and concerts, and talk with them about what they are doing both in school and out of school.”

Beth Smith has been teaching for 25 years, but 23 at Brecksville-Broadview Heights. Smith recalls the fun memories of the science department, regarding fun birthday surprises, “My birthday is in the summer, so they always pick a random date during the year to celebrate. And when you have a decade birthday, like 30,40, 50, 60, then they do something crazy! My birthday is in July. Sometime [during] the fall, I unlocked my door in the morning and the whole floor of the classroom and the lab was covered with balloons! There probably were 300 balloons all over the classroom and the lab!”

Mrs. Smith at the Final Four

Despite being a chemistry teacher, Smith enjoys the love for tennis, and will still continue to train after retirement. Smith says, “I will be training for the senior games, which are like the Senior Olympics, and I will be defending my gold title for tennis.”

Smith’s last advice to new teachers and students is, “Practice who you want to be every single day.”

Last but not least, Darla Marlow has been teaching for 31 years. Her career started as a Physical Education and 8th-grade Algebra teacher who coached both Basketball and Dance for 6-7 years. After taking a break to care for her five kids, she returned to teaching and loved teaching her numerous math classes. Marlow stated that she always wanted to be a teacher since the second grade.

Mrs. Marlow with her gymnastics students

Marlow states that she is excited to spend more time with her family; however, she’s going to miss both the kids and the amazing staff members. Marlow says, “I’m going to miss the kids and their faces and their comments. I’m going to miss my phrases and my songs. I’m even going to miss the life little instructions part of it cause that’s been me. I don’t want kids to think life is about math, because it’s more about all of that than it ever was math.”

Marlow still plans to continue to teach in different areas after retiring as well. “I plan to use teaching in different capacities. I’m already getting line dance opportunities to teach, and bachelorette parties to teach them, but also young adult events. Both of my daughters teach at an English second language school, they hire people to teach that; so you don’t need to know a second language, you just teach to them and I think I might have that opportunity as well. So I’m taking my love for teaching, dancing, second languages and teaching at different capacities.”

Marlow’s final advice to her students is, “Remember the two most important days of your life, the day you were born and then the day you found out why. I’ve always told the kids even when I return a test that they are not defined by scores, but rather to pursue their purpose and value exactly who they were meant to be.”

All four teachers will be deeply missed from the hive. They’ve expanded great lengths to make sure students have a great education and have a fun time in the classrooms. Students and staff wish them nothing but the best in their future endeavors and hope the new beginning will include returning to visit the hive.